pikir-pikir
Saturday, December 25, 2004
  more ramblings on jobs and the transition to the future
i feel like i'm the sort of person who is always happier when doing something new. i just gave up working on my modernism paper and began working on my china paper, and the switch was a breath of fresh air. i had gotten bogged down in my modernism work and was working really really slowly - probably because i was bored. but i'm positive that the same would have been the case if i had been working on the china paper first and modernism second.

this doesn't really worry me as far as academics are concerned: i'll get both of them done, life will go on. but i'm worried that this sort of quick-onset ennui will be an impediment in real life. how am i ever going to find a job that i like if time is my major factor for job appreciation?

obviously there are some intuitive, broad-stroke answers: find a job whose duties are diverse, that requires me to apply my intellect in challenging, consistently new ways. or a job that only involves doing whatever i'm doing for short to medium periods of time. maybe i missed the boat when i didn't give a second thought to consulting? I almost undoubtedly won't be doing a job of the just-described sort right out of college. so the question becomes what sort of job to i take now in order to set myself upon a path that eventually will lead to the future job that will maximize my job satisfaction?

i've been thinking about this question for a couple of weeks now and haven't been able to come up with a satisfactory answer. OCS, here i come.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
searching, thinking

Old Entries
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / May 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / September 2006 /


My Places
Places I like to go
Currently Reading
Also on my Mind